Birth on March 8, 1914 in Minsk. Dies on December 2, 1987 in Moscow.
Father -- Zeldovich Boris Naumovich, lawyer, member of Sovier Advocate Collegia; Mother --- Zeldovich (Kiveliovich) Anna Petrovna, translator, member of Soviet Writers Union.
Since middle of 1914 to august 1941 lived in Petrograd (later Leningrad), up to summer of 1943 --- in Kazan, since 1943 --- in Moscow.
In 1924 entered secondary school right away to the 3rd form, finished the school in 1930. From autumn 1930 till May 1931 he studied at the courses and worked as a laboratory assistant at the Institute of Mechanical processing of minerals. In May 1931 became a laboratory assistant at the Institute of Chemical Physics of the Academy of Science of the USSR (ICP). He was connected with this Institute till his very last days.
As he began to work in the ICF without higher education, he spend much time to self-education. From 1932 till 1934 studied as a extra-mural student at the Phys-Math department of the Leningrad State University, but didn't recieved any degree there. Later listened lectures at the Phys-Mech department of the Polytechnical Institute.
In 1934 joined ICF as a post-graduate student, in 1936 received PhD degree, in 1939 received degree of doctor of science (phys-math science).
From 1938 he was a head of a laboratory at the ICF. In the end of August 1941 was evacuated with the Institute to Kazan. In 1943 together with the laboratory came back to Moscow. From 1946 till 1948 was a head of theoretical department of the ICF. At the same time till 1948 worked as a professor in the Moscow Institute of Physics and Engineering.
From February 1948 till October 1965 worked on military problems (the Nuclear Project). For great results in that field he was awarded with Lenin's award and thrice --- with the Gold Star of the Hero of Labour (the greatest award in peace time). During that period he was a head of division and co-head of the enterprise.
From 1965 till January 1983 was a head of division at the Institute of the Applied Mathematics of the Academy of Science of the USSR. From 1965 he is a professor at the Department of Physics of the Moscow State University, and a head of division of the Relativistic Astrophysics at the Sternberg Astronomical Institute.
From 1983 --- a head of division at the Institute of Physical Problems of the Academy of Science of the USSR, and at the same time as a consultant of the direction of the Space Research Institute. From 1977 -- a head of the Scientific Council on Fusion at the Academy of Science of the USSR.
In 1946 was elected as a corresponding member of the Academy of Science of the USSR, and in 1958 -- as a full member.